Thursday, March 5, 2009

Back to the familiar again

I was sitting on the couch earlier when the phone rang. It was a local number that seemed familiar, but I didn't know it. When I answered, it was my radiation oncologist's office confirming my appointment for tomorrow. Dammit... I almost forgot I am a cancer patient. Thanks for the appointment reminder and the reality check. So, my routine tomorrow will be one that has become too familiar over the past 8 months. I have to get my infusion of Herceptin and my lovely Benadryl cocktail that makes me loopy, and then I have an appointment with my rad onco to get my month check-up. Bloodwork. I'm sure somewhere in all of this I will get bloodwork.

Ack, I also have to get a couple of prescriptions refilled. I currently have two tins next to my couch filled with the various drugs I have consumed and continue to consume daily. All cancer patients have these containers. I choose to use old cookie tins to house my drugs. Seems more pleasant that way. I once busted out with the tins in front of a friend who hadn't seen them before and her response was, "Uh, you take all those?" Yep. Unfortunately. I used to love prescription bottles, don't ask me why. I think it is the cylindrical shape. Well, now I hate them.

My check-up tomorrow should go fine. My rad onco just wants to look at my skin and see how it is holding up now that treatment is done. It really looks great I am happy to say. It only burned a little toward the end and peeled slightly. All that is done and the deep dark tan I was sporting on one breast is diminishing as well. Besides the scar on the side of my breast, you really can't tell I've been sick. Well, that is if you ignore the port implant in my chest. lol. I have to keep that buddy for a few more months.

Oh, on a side note.... I applied for my first job today as a cancer survivor. I'm a little nervous about it, but hell, if anyone wants to discriminate against me because I've had cancer, well, fuck 'em... and fuck cancer too :)

No comments: